Python Forum
system programming in pythonic code
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
system programming in pythonic code
i want to (and have) code many system level things in python. i've done lots of that in C already. but i think python is a better choice because, among many reasons, it lets people modify the code better than C does. i think of it as "easy open source" or "clear open source". working with name spaces is a step above working with (and goofing up) addresses.

a question i have is: does this kind of programming make it more difficult to program in a pythonic way?

one project idea i have is a tool to let you easily combine the bandwidth of multiple internet providers, if you have more than one. if you get 6 Gbps each from two providers, this tool will let you get near 12 Gbps total bandwidth. and if one of those providers goes down, it automatically uses just the good one(s) that remain up (without forcing applications to reconnect). several home-based stock traders have asked me for this, before and i have now figured out a way to do it cleanly and smoothly for all network applications.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I won't bother with all that codding. Instead, I will use Python as an interface to the system tools avoiding all the debugging.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Solutions which I've heard about:
  • Client connects with all active internet connections to one Server/Cloud with huge uplink. The server routes the whole traffic parallel through all internet connections. Python can help you to manage the system settings on the linux client. I don't know if windows is able to do this out of the box.
  • Client does not need a server. Instead the client is using for each IP connection the pool of internet connections with a load balancer. This does not give you the full bandwidth for one IP connection. Here can Python also help to set up everything.

Maybe you can solve this tasks also only with Python without the help of the OS. I guess this is a bit complicated and needs a deep understanding of routing, IP packets with an eye of the performance (maybe with asyncio).
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
i understand the networking and already have an idea i want to try. what i am wondering is if i should do this in python or that one-letter language. but this is basically a system thing. it will be heavy with system calls. there will be some logic to deal with the variations and changes that take place over time, such as one provider slowing down or another provider going completely down.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  penjee . com and non-pythonic code buran 15 10,783 Mar-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Last Post: ichabod801
  Complete Python Programming Course 2016: Code using Python 3 free udemy course Yoriz 0 4,222 Oct-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Yoriz