Python Forum
Oldies but goodies - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Forum & Off Topic (https://python-forum.io/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Bar (https://python-forum.io/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Oldies but goodies (/thread-561.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Oldies but goodies - sparkz_alot - Oct-19-2016

Sometimes I feel a bit nostalgic and I will just browse the web, usually looking for something specific and ending up miles (megabytes ?) away, forgetting what it was I was originally looking for.  That was the case this morning.  In my very early youth, I was really big into kit building, usually from Heathkit and Conar and built everything from stereo speakers (the easiest) to an oscilloscope (the hardest).  Then one day, I came across this: Altair 8800 . All those lights and switches, I was mesmerized. It was, alas, the kit that got away as I was not able to afford the (then) hefty price tag.

Also during this morning, I ran across a more recent news article: Ancient Commodore 64.  Now who'd of thunk  Big Grin

RE: Oldies but goodies - Larz60+ - Oct-19-2016

I bought a couple of these for my kids.
I'm pretty sure that at least one of them survived and is stored away.
I also bought them both games every time there was a gift occasion.
Though I never tried it, their favorite was one called 'car wars'

RE: Oldies but goodies - ichabod801 - Oct-19-2016

Loved Car Wars. I used to run a Car Wars league in my game store. Although, that was the table top game, so maybe we're talking about different things.

My dad got me a Heathkit for a computer with only an octal display and a similar keyboard, but I never built it.

RE: Oldies but goodies - Ofnuts - Oct-19-2016

Speaking of Heathkit, I came across a Heathkit ham radio microphone in a yard sale about a month ago. Always wondered what it was doing there (no other electronic gear in sight, and this things cannot be connected to you usual consumer elctronics...). I used to salivate a lot over their catalog in the 70s, but never bought anything from them.

RE: Oldies but goodies - Larz60+ - Oct-20-2016

I have been in amateur radio since I was 7 years old.
I built several transceivers from Heathkit and always enjoyed them the most.

RE: Oldies but goodies - Skaperen - Oct-20-2016

(Oct-19-2016, 02:36 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: Sometimes I feel a bit nostalgic and I will just browse the web, usually looking for something specific and ending up miles (megabytes ?) away, forgetting what it was I was originally looking for.  That was the case this morning.  In my very early youth, I was really big into kit building, usually from Heathkit and Conar and built everything from stereo speakers (the easiest) to an oscilloscope (the hardest).  Then one day, I came across this: Altair 8800 . All those lights and switches, I was mesmerized. It was, alas, the kit that got away as I was not able to afford the (then) hefty price tag.

my mother bought one of those.  she got the 2nd floppy drive and the printer, too Dance

(Oct-20-2016, 12:00 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: I have been in amateur radio since I was 7 years old.
I built several transceivers from Heathkit and always enjoyed them the most.
call?

mine is edit: removed

(Oct-19-2016, 11:41 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Speaking of Heathkit, I came across a Heathkit ham radio microphone in a yard sale about a month ago. Always wondered what it was doing there (no other electronic gear in sight, and this things cannot be connected to you usual consumer elctronics...). I used to salivate a lot over their catalog in the 70s, but never bought anything from them.

someone bought the big gear in the previous yard sale.  too bad you missed it.

RE: Oldies but goodies - Larz60+ - Oct-20-2016

Don't want to post that here.

RE: Oldies but goodies - sparkz_alot - Oct-20-2016

Skaperen, I agree with Larz60+ about not posting his call. You should edit out your call (if you can't, perhaps a mod will do it for you).   73

RE: Oldies but goodies - Kebap - Oct-20-2016

Edited and removed the call. You can post it again if you want, but remember the advise against

RE: Oldies but goodies - Ofnuts - Oct-21-2016

What are call if not userids in the big ham radio forum?