Python Forum
[PyGame] [In Progress] - Rogue-Like Game Tutorial
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PyGame] [In Progress] - Rogue-Like Game Tutorial
Between the holiday (4th of July), and a wacky issue I ran into, I'll likely be delayed for a bit. A surprisingly large amount of section 4 is handled almost entirely by libtcod's c library, which obviously we don't have access to since we're not using a terminal. So I ran into a bit of a speedbump re-implementing Field of Vision, and need to debug it.

Well, I ran into several issues. The first, is that it straight up doesn't work right currently (all walls in the level are visible, but none of the floor is), which likely means I made a silly mistake late at night lol. The second issue is that it's abysmally slow (every time you take a step, there's a full second or two delay before the screen updates). I wasn't trying to do any tricks to make it fast, and was basically brute-force checking each tile to see if it's visible, so the speed thing can probably be improved.

The good news is that section 5 looks rather simple, so once I get fov working right, we'll be caught up for the week.
The bad news is that section 6 (next week) contains A* path navigation for enemy ai movement, which again uses libtcod internals. Section 7 looks like it should be fairly easy though, so I guess we'll see.

*edit* Boom, got it working, and at "you won't notice it" speeds, so that means it's time to move on.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [In Progress] - Rogue-Like Game Tutorial - by nilamo - Jul-06-2019, 11:27 PM