Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the beginning...
I thought I would start this thread after reading a comment by Lars (http://python-forum.io/Thread-New-Users-...6#pid1356) and I got to thinking about my early computer days. First computer was a Commodore Vic 20. First GUI computer (actually a laptop) was an IBM Thinkpad running Windows 3.1. Before the internet, we had BBS's and they were awesome :rolleyes: . My first BBS that I created was based on Wildcat and used six 2400 bps modems, I had 3 subscribers :cool: . My first online service was CompuServe. First internet content provider was AOL. My first programming language was BASIC, which I learned at the local community college and used a time-share card punch computer. Our first program was to compute the value of pi to 10 decimal places. First server OS was FreeBSD. First web server was Apache running on FreeBSD.

I'm sure there are others, but can't think of them at the moment.

So, what were you're "Firsts"
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
who can ever forget the sound of making a connection on a BBS.

Loved those overnight downloads of data.

I drove by Compuserv in upper Arlington Ohio every morning on my way to work in Dublin Oh.

That (Compuserv) was a very solid company that didn't make it.

We were in the process of starting a new telecommunications company ((litel) LCI International, Today called Century-Link),
one of my 7 days a week, 16 hours a day jaunts (about 3 years actually, I wouldn't give that
up for the world). Turned out to be a rocket ship. For 3 years commuted between Columbus and
Boston every week.

I remember the Vic 20, and the 64 (bought one for each of my sons).

I think I still have one kicking around somewhere)
Hmmm... not so impressive as you guys' but here goes:

First computer: well, technically my TI-84 calculator.  :)  My first "real" computer was an HP Pavilion Slimline s7410n: 32-bit, 1 GB of RAM, single-core 1.7 GHz processor (if I remember correctly), manufactured around 2005. It's been on hiatus for a few months but still works just fine.

First GUI OS: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon. I've ended up staying with Mint as my main distro, though I migrated to LMDE a few months later and I've been happy there.

First language: Matlab, technically, but my first multi-purpose language was Python 2. Of course, my first program was Hello World! Python 3 is my main language these days, though I dabble in quite a bit of 'em.

First released project: PolyDist. I still work on it occasionally...
Editor: Atom with Material Syntax UI and the Termination terminal plugin

Micah 6:8
Quote:well, technically my TI-84 calculator

I still have my TI-59, and it still works (but not the mag strip reader) I used it for so many years, and only gave it up about 10 years ago.
I've done a lot of basement programming (not serious) with Tiger Line Files You can still get them from https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/dat...-line.html
they used to be line segments and you had to connect them end to end to draw your maps. Today they are esri format shape files (polygons).
I'm going to have to vector off and have a look at your application. (PADD I guess .. programmer attention deficit disorder).
I'm still very interested in anything that has to do with mapping, and/or distance calculating. Sounds like fun.
You've probably familiar with Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS) first invented by Amateur Radio. If not, have a look at:
http://www.arrl.org/automatic-packet-rep...ystem-aprs and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_...ing_System

Larz60+
My turn.
Apologize my English!

First time I was played with a computer was on an Intel 386 with 120MB HDD and I don't remember how much RAM. In about 8 hours sleepless night I and a friend of mine we had have working Windows95. Then wе returned back 3.11. On the same machine I've touched Linux for the first time. It was 50MB installation without any GUI. Just an old good terminal. It was scary. :D

My first computer was some Intel 486 unknown machine with 95 installed on it. Then it was replaced with some 1.2GHz. After that I was played with 3.2GHz 1GB RAM and 250GB HDD PC. A 10'' notebook. Now in my hands is a i7-4700MQ Lenovo with Ubuntu MATE on this partition.

I am in love with Python from a few months and it has started when I was bored to death. I am not professional programmer neither a programmer since I've wrote only three actually doing something scripts. I can't sit down and code just what ever flashes in my mind. And I can't learn if I do not code but just reading tutorials or watching video tuts. But my appetite is growing every day as I am doing that. I have some ideas just peeking out of my head so I think the real fun is just began.

Happy New Year! :D
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
As I said in that thread I started on an HP-85 my dad got when I was 10. He told me I could have my own tape for the tape drive if I learned to program BASIC. I taught myself from the manual that came with the computer. My favorite programs were Hunt the Wumpus and Moire. After my parents divorced my mom got an Apple ][, and I played a lot of Santa Paravia and Wizardry. I remember finding the map file for Wizardry and repeatedly changing the same byte and going back into the game to see how the map changed. I also had a strip poker game until my cousin got caught playing it. I also had a programmable HP calculator. My geometry teacher told us we could use calculators on the tests, so I programmed in all the area and volume formulas.

BBS? Yeah, got a copy of the Anarchist's Cookbook off one in high school. Compuserve? I was on the Source. I met a girl up there, and managed to meet her at a hotel in New Jersey. We got drunk and high, and her parents never let her contact me online again.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I also still have a Bowmar - 901B A.K.A Bowmar Brain the first pocket calculator, that my Mom gave me before they were even on the market.
She was part of the Bpwmar team in Littleton Massachusetts back in the 1970's. This calculator could only add, subtract, multiple & divide.
It does however, have a += and -= key.

Larz60+
I have my Dad's HP-45, the first pocket calculator they made. The battery is dead, but you can plug it in and it still works.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Hey, I have somewhere one of those Palm devices. Can I use it for something?
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Oct-04-2016, 10:43 PM)wavic Wrote: Hey, I have somewhere one of those Palm devices. Can I use it for something?
I used a Palm Treo instead of Android until 2013. Loved that device. Alas, for a very small amount of money you can get much better used Android phones, or perhaps even a Raspberry Pi, instead.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to get started with Eric from the very beginning apollo 4 6,166 Oct-28-2018, 08:23 PM
Last Post: j.crater